It's officially the end of Summer and for most of it I've had better things to do with my time than write rambling blogs about this, that and the like. I went on tour for about two weeks where I made some great friends, lost a shit load of money and was the closest I've ever felt to complete mental collapse, but we don't talk about that. There's no honour in having a hysterical crying fit next to the church at the back of the Marquee, then calling your best friend to talk about golf. It's not a good scene. Still aside from that tour was amazing.
I also acquired something of a job working from 11pm to 7am at a hotel, cleaning dishes, doing admin stuff I don't understand, setting up tables, watching TV and writing contrived pieces for free post-collegiate magazines. It's sounds more romantic than it is, I did spend £40 on a shirt and suit trousers though which I suppose makes me a bit of a twat. I do look relatively smart though, even a girl who's name I don't know commented on my improved appearance so that's promising. I miss being Jimmy Hobo though, looking back the last few months up in Norwich riding around in cut off shorts and a bottle of cider were grand.
I've been in Maidstone now for a while, a few months and my room has returned to what it was when I was 17. Messy, disorganized, stale food gradually mummifying on plates, bed sheets giving off the stench of stale sweat and dirt, dust on everything, empty packets of Cutters Choice poking out from any spare space. Ah home.
Virtually everybody I know is plodding back up to University or heading out travelling, that's my plan to. Earn some money for a few months then quit my job, pack my bags and get my arse back out to America for a while. I just hope there is time for it. I've promised to join a band/move to Manchester at some point in the very near future. It's proving hard though, I'm sick of Maidstone but at least I'm earning money (although I haven't been paid yet) and I don't have to pay for food or rent or bills at my mums house which is a huge huge help but what you loose from that is independence and excitement. It's quite lonely out here in the sticks, it gets you down and you go crazy a little bit. Still I can escape every so often to go to gigs in various places but that cost so much money on the train and truth be told I'm starting to become a little disillusioned with a lot of things about the punk scene. It's probably just because I'm so far away from my friends who are into it and down here virtually no one know what the hell I'm talking about most of the time. I was reading a fanzine at work the other day and this girl I work with asked me what it was, I tried to explain the concept of a fanzine to her and she looked at me blankly for a moment and asks if she can colour in the pictures... I smiled and said sarcastically that I would get her some crayons...she smiled with glee... shes in her mid 20's... I'm going to apply for other jobs.
Thursday, 10 September 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment